Monday, February 8, 2016

Two Balls of Yarn - One Chunky Ski Band with Poms and Sparkles


I love to wear my hair up in pony tails and buns, so a ski band is a bit more my style rather than a hat to keep my ears warm! Knitting a little bit, here and there while watching a couple of movies, I made a warm, cozy ski headband in a weekend. Perfect for a cold windy and even snowy day! 
I was rummaging through a box of yarn I had and realized what a great match the pompom yarn was with a rosy beige sequin yarn laying next to it. I'm sure you could use any combination of colors though. I just picked a fat pair of knitting needles--around size 10--and I was ready to make the cutest, coziest ski band. If you want to experiment with different sized knitting needles, depending on your yarns, just do a test swatch.
When you're ready, cast on 12 stitches with your two yarns, and start knitting. I knit a length of about 18-inches to fit my head perfectly, but you can measure around your head as you go. Then I cast off and stitched the two ends together with the sequin yarn. The seam doesn't even show!
The thing I love about the sequin yarn is that it is not just loaded with sequins...they are really spaced out on the yarn. When it is combined with the pompom yarn, a lot of the sequins get tucked in there, but just a few show here and there which is perfect for this everyday ski band to keep any head cute and cozy during winter. You could also stitch on a flower or a big cute button.
Eat, Write, Dream, Stitch


4 comments:

  1. That's really cute! Maybe that's something I should try as beanie hats look really stupid on me :-)
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I think beanie hats look dumb on me too. But I love this for keeping my ears warm. I wore it this morning because it is freezing cold AND horribly windy here!

      Delete
  2. I simply cannot bring myself to wear a hat. Any I've ever found end up looking like a pea on a pumpkin on me. Something like this might be the perfect thing to keep my ears warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I think those of us who are not hat people look cute in these cozy headbands!

      Delete