Thursday, July 10, 2014

Simple Scrapbooking--It's Frugal, Artistic, and Fast


I have been scrapbooking for over fifteen years. I started when my daughter turned five and I found a beautiful scrapbook at the Hallmark store...it called out to me from the shelf...and right then and there I became a scrapbooker. Over the years I've gone with the flow and ebb of trends and what's available in the scrapbooking aisles. I got attached to a little independent scrapbook store near my house where I took classes and shopped, which then closed its doors, and I've seen ups and downs in the whole scrapbooking trend ever since. 


After art journaling and Smash books became a trend, I realized I had been art journaling for many years--I just didn't know it. I had always kept a book of thoughts, quotes, drawings, and my little stories and ideas in my bag all the time. I completed three of those little art journals before the term became so popular. Now I realize that the thing to do is to use the art and upcycling I love about art journaling with my scrapbooking. All those old scrapbooking papers I don't plan to use, are perfect backings for my own watercolor pages. I love how my doodling in watercolor goes great with a photo.
You can upcycle so many little pieces of artwork into your scrapbooking. On this patchwork page I have a little cross-stitched heart--the whole page came together quickly when I printed out a sheet of 2X2 photos, cut them up and combined them with 2X2 papers for journaling, and laid it all out on a sheet of pretty scrap paper laid over 12X12 craft paper. I left room on the side for journaling with a white gel pen. It came together pretty quick too.
I did a quick Christmas 2013 page thanks to a great photo offer from Walgreens. You have to watch for those great deals, and one week they offered a free--absolutely free--collage print. I ran with that, and used my collage print on a piece of scrapbook paper I had gotten for half-price at a local independent store after Christmas...added a little diecut with a white paper ribbon (which was part of a prize from Factory Direct Craft) and some white gel pen, and I was done with a nice scrappy update on Christmas. And it was very fast and frugal! Now, I did say a few days ago, that I was done with the old post-bound scrapbooks and want to switch to three-ring. But here I go...off to Michaels to check out some amazing sale on scrapbooks! Hope you enjoy your scrapbooking and use your art, your stash, and clever deals!

Eat, Write, Dream, Stitch, Scrap



 

No comments:

Post a Comment