Monday, January 27, 2014

My First Crafty Book - McCall's Giant Golden Make-It Book

 When I was around age six or seven in the late 1960's, I loved coloring, gluing, writing stories, and even had a little grey metal sewing machine with a foot pedal and everything. We made doll clothes. So one day, when I was little, I found this big book in my mother's room, and immediately took possession of it--McCall's Make-It Book, published in 1952. I carried this thing everywhere!

Now when I look at it, I can even tell which pages I used the most! I felt like the happy kiddos on the cover--just makin' a table full of craftiness! My worktable looks like that today--only more fun.
Thought I would share some of the precious pages on the inside, because this book covers every kind of craft and even included knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, and weaving!
But first, it taught you how to upcycle. Way to go green 1952!
Then you got your crafty list. I remember gathering some of these things!
Who needs to garden when you can make paper flowers all day! Now I have one of those cool flower weaving things.


I think the sewing cards were my fave. My mother helped punch the holes for me. I probably drove her crazy!
I'm wondering if this where I learned how to sew! Who doesn't like simple sewing.
It's funny how I've pretty much been a cross-stitch-aholic for 25 years...but I do not remember the cross-stitch pages in this book. They are very pristine looking, so obviously I didn't go to this chapter. And I probably didn't have access to aida cloth!
I learned crochet when I was young. But now every time I crochet it ends up in a circle. However, I have not given up! Crochet makes the prettiest trim on things. (I do think the little girl here with the blonde braids is quite proud of herself.)
I did learn how to knit though, at some point. I still have my pink metal knitting needles from when I was ten.
Now I even know how to use double-pointed needles! I should do a dance.
And I know for a fact I took over several empty oatmeal containers from our kitchen to make into all kinds of things. So glad I found my first crafty book again.

Eat, Write, Dream, Stitch, Be Young Again





1 comment:

  1. Well, that was a lovely peek into that book..and didn't it start off a life long obsession with making things? Funnily enough, apart from learning to knit, the only thing I was mad about (apart from horses!) was drawing. I drew all the time and got pretty good at it...I miss not doing that now...but only I can rectify that and make time, huh?
    I really enjoyed seeing those pages, thanks for sharing :-)
    LLJ xx

    ReplyDelete