Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Gingerbread House Special...WOYWW #185

 There are a bunch of beautiful bloggers who, every Wednesday, celebrate what's on their work desks. It's that simple. A little celebration of what makes us happy in life--all over the planet!

Join the What's-On-Your-Workdesk-Wednesday party right here, hosted by Mrs. Dunnit!

Today, I'm sharing an alternate workdesk in my house...the one in my kitchen. Now, I don't show every pot of pasta I make, cup of Starbucks I brew, or even family meals that took extra time. But, then, sometimes I do, and I always have to share my gingerbread house. 

Every year, I make at least one little gingerbread cottage--some years I make two or three. Back pain has brought me back to reality this year, and I didn't even shop for the variety of decorations I usually do--but I managed to pick up a few packages each containing a roll of Lifesaver candies, and a Lifesaver candy cane. (I can walk and talk, so don't feel too sorry for me.) The first candy cane I opened broke...so it went on one of the sides of the gingerbread house. I found a bag of mini marshmallows in the cupboard, and that was all I needed. I baked the gingerbread pieces a few weeks ago and wrapped them up until I was ready to decorate.

I decorate the front, back, sides and roof pieces laying flat. Let that nice icing (my glue) dry good and hard, and then it all comes together--the last step which I've just finished. 

Having the gingerbread house is so fun, and smells better than a gingerbread candle. I also use a few straight pins to hold things together until the whole house is good and dry, then the pins come out--just in case I have any little visitors. All the children in my life have loved looking at these gingerbread houses over the years, and some have decorated their own. 

Even if I just throw it together, like this year, it's still special.

I think the frosting is really key to this whole little cottage coming and staying together. The first batch of frosting is for the decorating part of the job, and the second batch is for gluing the walls and roof together. Each time I use two egg whites, and two and half cups of powdered sugar.

I always have some little person inside the house, and this time, I decorated this little gingerbread man with a Santa hat!

I have to say that maybe the most fun, after building the house is doing the photo shoot! My houses NEVER look the same from year to year.

In the meantime, life is good, happy, joyful, and very calm at my regular worktable!

Joy, blessings, and happiness to you as you Eat, Write, Dream and Stitch.


15 comments:

  1. Your gingerbread house is magnificent, Sandy. I love it. you must have so much patience. It takes me all my time to ice my Christmas cake and that's a doddle compared to this. Will it last until Christmas or do you have fingers in the house who pinch bits off.
    Wishing you a very Happy Christmas and a Peaceful New Year.
    Hugs Lisax #44

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought I best mention that your link doesn't seem to work. I just deleted the extra bits to find you. Super house, how on earth do you go about eating it? Happy Christmas to you - love BJ#1

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun. Really love your house.
    Wishing you a wonderful Christmas with everything that makes you happy.
    Hugs,
    A x #38
    ps your link on Julia's doesn't work properly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic gingerbread house!! Hope you have a lovely Christmas. Helen 3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year.
    TFS Happy WOYWW Mrs.C.xx #34

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making a gingerbread house is now officially going on my bucket list!!! I have never ever made one - isn't that shameful? And I've done some quite spectacular birthday cakes in the past. So you'll have to check up on me next Christmas to see if I have carried out my threat!!!
    I love all the decorations that have been put on with abandon - I would do it like that too, none of this careful application, no sirree. I think it makes for a better end result!

    But poor you with a dodgy back :( What brought that on...I really hope that it improves by next week's festivities.

    Thank you for all your support, lovely comments and friendship this year - I really appreciate it and feel that I have found a firm friend, albeit we're either side of the world. The web can be a wonderful thing.
    Sending hugs and love for a Happy Christmas!
    LLJ #25 xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome house!!
    Happy Christmas to you and yours
    Laura
    54

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh what a lovely gingerbread house and I love the idea of the little gingerbread man inside the house!

    Happy WOYWW

    Kyla #50

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful gingerbread creation, have a lovely Xmas.
    Love Amanda @ 56 x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun gingerbread house - clever you!! Have a wonderful Christmas. x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gingerbread houses are always special, the look on everyones face when you bring it to the table is priceless. Wishing you a wonderful christmas.
    Sandra @17

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Wow! Sandy I love it!!! You always have such wonderful things on your desk :) Each year I tell myself I will make one of these, and each year what with one thing and another I always forget, or leave it too late. Not next year though, it's a must!!!!
    I hope you have the most amazing Christmas and enjoy your wonderful gingerbread house :)
    Suzie xxxx :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, this is a gingerbread house to be proud of hun!! Have a wonderful Christmas, hugs Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Sandy that is lovely, so so special. How gorgeous, and thank you for the icing recipe....another 'worth knowing' fact for the Christmas file. Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sandy

    I know I’ve not joined in with WOYWW just recently but I’ll be back in the new year for sure.

    I just wanted to pop by to say thanks for all the fun and inspiration you’ve shared over the last year and to wish you and yours a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year.

    Sue
    x

    ReplyDelete